Lincoln City Libraries’ Digital Downloads from OverDrive provides a collection of downloadable audiobooks that can be checked out for a period of 7, 14, or 21 days for listening to on a computer or portable audio device. You can have up to 10 downloadable titles (eBooks and audiobooks) checked out at one time.
- Most of our audiobooks are now available for listening to within your Web browser, without the need for additional software, in a format called OverDrive Listen. Information about getting started with OverDrive Listen is available here.
- Downloadable Audiobooks require the OverDrive app. When you check out an audiobook from OverDrive, there is a link to allow you to download this software. Versions are available for Windows, Macintosh, Windows Mobile, Android, and iPhone. (The BlackBerry version is no longer available, but existing installations of it should continue to work.) The Windows version also requires Windows Media Player 9 or newer, with a security update.
- Important information for Windows 8 users: the OverDrive app for Windows 8 does not support WMA audiobooks, or transferring audiobooks to an MP3 player. Windows 8 users can install the classic desktop version of the software for these functions. Additional information for Windows 8 users is available here.
- Android, Windows Phone, iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch apps are available for Downloadable Audiobooks and eBooks. Please search for the free OverDrive app in the Android Market, Windows Phone Marketplace, or the App Store. (The BlackBerry version is no longer available, but existing installations of it should continue to work.) These instructions for iOS (Apple) Mobile Devices and for Android Mobile Devices cover both e-Books and audiobooks.
- Additional details about OverDrive’s software requirements can be found on their Getting Started page.
Downloadable Audiobooks and iPods
Most of our audiobooks are now available in MP3 format and are Macintosh- and iPod-compatible, but a few titles are not yet available in this format. Look for an “MP3” symbol to be sure the title you want is available in this format.
WMA-format audiobooks from OverDrive are now compatible with Windows-formatted iPods, but are not compatible with Macintosh computers.
If you have a Windows-formatted iPod, please look over this information first. Also, please be aware that transferring these audiobooks to an iPod will probably be slow because of the conversion process required by the iPod.
If you have an iPod Touch, please see these instructions for iOS (Apple) Mobile Devices. For information about other portable devices, please check this information about compatibility with OverDrive.
What to do if your e-mail address has changed
If you have e-reserves and have changed your e-mail address, you will need to update the e-mail address associated with each of your e-reserves to be sure you receive notification when the books become available. Please follow these steps:
- Log into your digital downloads account.
- Click on “Account.”
- Click on “Holds.”
- Click ‘”Edit” next to each title and update the email address.
Still having trouble?
We understand that Digital Downloads can sometimes be tricky. If you run into problems, there are ways to get help. You can check OverDrive’s troubleshooting guide. You can also submit a request for help and we will try to resolve your problem as quickly as possible.