FirstSearch (including WorldCat)
FirstSearch is an interactive online information system that gives information about books, journal articles, films, computer software, and other material in a variety of subject areas. Click here to see descriptions of the available databases.
Access to Outside Databases
Click the button below to access FirstSearch. Login is automatic on computers located in Lincoln City Libraries. Access from outside the library is also available for residents of Lincoln and Lancaster County; please contact library staff for login information.
Click the button below to access the WorldCat database (an international database of library holdings) within FirstSearch.
Access to FirstSearch databases has been provided by the Nebraska Library Commission with funding from the State of Nebraska and the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Database Descriptions for the Nebraska Package of OCLC FirstSearch Databases
- OCLC ArticleFirst Database-OCLC
- Contains bibliographic citations that describe items listed on the table of contents pages of more than 13,000 journals in science, technology, medicine, social science, business, the humanities, and popular culture. Each record describes one article, news story, letter, or other item.
- OCLC FirstSearch Electronic Collections Online Database-OCLC
- A growing collection of journals in a variety of subject areas, all with full-text articles online. Articles include all original content and images. The interface supports cross-journal searching and browsing within selected journals. Users can view bibliographic information for all journals and view abstracts and full-text articles from journals to which their institutions subscribe.
- ERIC-U. S. Department of Education
- Educational Resources Information Center has represented the most complete bibliography of educational materials available since 1966. The ERIC database is a guide to published and unpublished sources on thousands of educational topics, with information from RIE (Resources in Education) and CIJE (Current Index to Journals in Education).
- GPO Monthly Catalog-U. S. Government Printing Office
- Consists of records published by the GPO since July 1976. Includes references to congressional committee reports and hearings, debates, documents from executive departments, and more.
- MEDLINE-U. S. National Library of Medicine
- Covers all areas of medicine, including clinical medicine, experimental medicine, dentistry, nursing, health services administration, nutrition, and much more. Indexes over 3,500 journals (most with abstracts). Now includes a backfile covering 1965-1984, increasing the coverage to 1965-present.
- OCLC PapersFirst Database-OCLC
- Provides access to individual papers presented at conferences worldwide. A major research aid covering every congress, symposium, exposition, workshop, and meeting added to The British Library Document Supply Centre's vast proceedings collection since October 1993.
- OCLC ProceedingsFirst Database-OCLC
- Provides tables of contents of papers presented at conferences worldwide. Each record contains a list of the papers presented at each conference.
- OCLC Union Lists of Periodicals Database-OCLC
- Includes more than 7 million listings linked to over 750,000 bibliographic records in WorldCat. The listings provide local holdings information so that users can search for locations of periodicals in their own and other libraries.
- WorldCat Database (the OCLC Online Union Catalog)-OCLC
- The world's most comprehensive bibliography, with 37 million bibliographic records representing 370 languages and covering information from 4,000 years of knowledge.