Lincoln City Libraries' Digital Downloads from OverDrive provides a collection of downloadable audiobooks that can be checked out for a period of 21 days for listening to on a computer or portable audio device. Click the button below to access our Digital Downloads:
Note: OverDrive has recently introduced some major changes to their service. Here is a useful introduction to the new features of OverDrive.
Getting Started with Audiobooks
Here is a brief overview of how to get started with downloadable audiobooks on a computer (here is a printable version of these instructions):
1. Download and install the OverDrive Media Console software. Here are specific instructions for Windows and for Mac.
2. (Windows only) The first time you open the OverDrive Media Console or download an audiobook, you may be prompted to complete a one-time security upgrade for Windows Media Player. If the automatic upgrade does not work, you can perform the upgrade at http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/indivsite/en/indivit.asp . This step must be done using Internet Explorer.
3. Find audio titles to check out in our Digital Downloads site. Note that some books are not available in formats suitable for all computers; please see this information about the differences in audiobook formats.
4. Once you've checked out a title, click "Download." Audio files should open automatically in the OverDrive Media Console (OMC) on your computer. You can also use OMC to transfer them to a mobile device.
Most of OverDrive's downloadble audiobooks are in Windows Media Audio (WMA) format and require the OverDrive Media Console software. Here is an overview of downloading and using the software.
How to Download the OverDrive Media Console software:
How to Check Out and Download an Audiobook: Downloadable Audiobooks and iPods
WMA-format audiobooks from OverDrive are now compatible with Windows-formatted iPods, but some are not compatible with Macintosh computers.
If you have a Windows-formatted iPod, please look over this information first. Also, please be aware that transferring these audiobooks to an iPod will probably be slow because of the conversion process required by the iPod.
Macintosh-compatible MP3 audiobooks are also available, but some titles are not available in this format. Look for an "MP3" symbol to identify these audiobooks.
If you have an iPod Touch, please see these instructions for iOS (Apple) Mobile Devices. For information about other portable devices, please check this information about compatibility with OverDrive.
Check on the Current Top 10 Downloadable Audiobooks Reserves.
What to do if your e-mail address has changed
If you have e-reserves and have changed your e-mail address, you will need to update the e-mail address associated with each of your e-reserves to be sure you receive notification when the books become available. Please follow these steps:
1. Log into your digital downloads account.
2. Click on "Account".
3. Click on "Holds".
4. Click '"Edit" next to each title and update the email address.
Still having trouble?
We understand that Digital Downloads can sometimes be tricky. If you run into problems, there are ways to get help. You can check OverDrive's Troubleshooting guide. You can also submit a request for help and we will try to resolve your problem as quickly as possible.
April 10, 2014 by Webmaster
Tagged in: audio, audiobooks, downloads, downloadable,
November 17, 2011 by Webmaster
The Lincoln City Libraries Digital Downloads from OverDrive provides a collection of downloadable eBooks and audiobooks for reading and listening to on a computer or portable e-reader or audio device. Click the button below to access our Digital Downloads:
Tagged in: audio, audiobooks, ebooks, downloads, downloadable,
September 11, 2009 by sdc
One Book One Lincoln fans...
While you're waiting to attend a discussion group or one of the upcoming special programming events (see the One Book web site for full details!), don't forget to listen to any of the One Book-related podcast recordings available on the libraries' podcasts page.
Recent One Book offerings there include:
'Casting About Program 46: The One Book One Lincoln Selection Process
'Casting About Program 47: The One Book One Lincoln Finalists
One Book One Lincoln - Preview Discussion - July 24, 2009
People of the Book: KZUM's BookTalk Discussion - July 1, 2009
Tagged in: OBOL, "One Book One Lincoln", podcasts, audio,