This section of our site has been discontinued.
March 31, 2014 by pjorgensen
Tagged in: literature, authors, writing, poets, poetry, e-texts, book, books, ebooks, electronic books, quotes, quotations, reading groups, book groups,
June 22, 2011 by pjorgensen
What is netLibrary?netLibrary is a collection of electronic books, or "eBooks," that can be accessed from a computer with Internet access. Lincoln City Libraries is part of a consortium that has purchased access to thousands of these eBooks for our patrons.
What do I need to use netLibrary?You need a computer (either PC or Mac) with Internet access and one of the following Web browsers:
- Internet Explorer 7.0 and above
- Firefox 2.0 and above
Viewing netLibrary eBooks also requires the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader (8.0 or higher). Information about downloading this program is available on the City of Lincoln Web site.
Lincoln City Libraries' catalog computers meet these requirements, as do our computers for using the Internet. If your home computer meets these requirements, you will be able to access the service from home, but you will first need to set up a netLibrary account.
How do I set up an account with netLibrary?If you're using a Lincoln City Libraries catalog computer, click on "Research Resources," and then on the "netLibrary" link. This takes you to a page that gives general information about the service. Then click on the link that says, "Set up a netLibrary account."
If you're using your home computer, start from our netLibrary page. If prompted, enter all 14 digits of your library card number (do not enter any spaces) and your PIN.
On the next screen, fill in the form. You will be asked to select a username and password. A username or a password should be a single word without any spaces or punctuation (numbers may be used); if you choose a username that someone else has already selected, you'll be asked to choose a different one.
How do I connect to netLibrary?
- If you are using a Lincoln City Libraries catalog computer, there are two ways to get to netLibrary:
- Starting from the main screen, click on the "Research Resources" tab, and then on the "netLibrary" link. This takes you to a page that gives general information about the service; again, click on the button labeled "netLibrary."
- Bibliographic records for the books we have purchased have been added to the Lincoln City Libraries online catalog. A link in the record for each of these books in our catalog connects to that specific book in netLibrary.
- If you are using your home computer:
As mentioned above, before using netLibrary from home you will need to set up an account. Follow the instructions above to set up your account. Once you have set up your account, go to the Lincoln City Libraries Web site at http://www.lincolnlibraries.org. Click on the "Research Resources" button and then click on the "netLibrary" link. You can also go directly to the netLibrary home page at http://www.netlibrary.com.
Do I have to set up an account to use eBooks from netLibrary?It depends on what you want to do. You do not need an account to:
- browse netLibrary eBooks using a computer in Lincoln City Libraries
- read netLibrary's collection of free and public domain eBooks
- use netLibrary from your home computer
- use certain features such as adding your own notes and favorites lists
How do I access my netLibrary account?At the main netLibrary screen, click on "Log In."
On the next screen, enter the user name and password that you chose when you set up your account, and then click on "Log in."
How do I change my password or other information on my account?Click on "edit account."
On the next screen, edit whatever information you want to change, and then click on "Save Changes."
How do I log out of my netLibrary account?Click on "log out."
How do I search for an eBook in netLibrary?You may search by title, author, keywords, the full text of the eBook, or publisher by using the search form on the main netLibrary page. You can use multiple search terms at the same time.
Enter your search terms and click on the "search" button below the form.
After you've performed a search, you will be shown a search results page. From this screen, you can browse or check out one of the eBooks on the list by clicking on the appropriate icons.
How do I find what I'm looking for in an eBook?There are several ways to find what you are looking for in an eBook. You can:
- go through the eBook page by page by clicking on the "Next" and "Previous" buttons
- go to a particular page number by using the "Go" button
- go to a particular chapter by using the table of contents pane
- use netLibrary's search capabilities to look for specific text in the eBook
Tagged in: libraries, public, public library, public libraries, databases, netLibrary, ebooks, ebooks, electronic books, online books, Research Resources,