- Saturday, 28 May 2022 18:00
Hey, mystery fans! Looking for something good to read?
At the May 26th, 2022 Just Desserts meeting that took place in person at the Bennett Martin Public Library, 14 members participated in our 10th annual “Series Share” discussion, in which attendees were encouraged to read the first or second volume in any new mystery/thriller/suspense series that’s started within the past few years, and share their thoughts in a “round-robin” format; two more group members shared their selections via e-mail. Here’s a list of the novels/series that were mentioned by group members. We asked all attendees to also give a “Thumbs Up” or “Thumbs Down” for whatever series they sampled – and all participants this month gave a “Thumbs Up” to whatever they read:
- The Pentecost & Parker series by Stephen Spotswood, including the first two volumes Fortune Favors the Dead, and Murder Under Her Skin
- The Frankie Elkin series by Lisa Gardner, starting with Before She Disappeared and A Step Too Far – past author selection for Just Desserts
- The Secret Scone and Book Society mystery series by Ellery Adams, starting with The Secret Scone and Book Society and The Vanishing Type
- The Roxanne Weary series by Kristen Lepionka, starting with The Last Place You Look, What You Want to See, The Stories You Tell and Once You Go This Far
- The Colter Shaw mystery series by Jeffery Deaver, staring with The Never Game and The Goodbye Man – past author selection for Just Desserts
- The Goddess of Green Street series by Kate Collins, starting with Statue of Limitations
- The Riley Fisher series by Erin Young, starting with The Fields (two readers chose this series)
- The Korner and Werner series by Katrine Engberg, the reader actually read #3, The Harbor.
- The Perveen Mistry series by Sujata Massey, starting with The Widows of Malabar Hill, The Satapur Moonstone, and The Bombay Prince
- The Laetitia Rodd series by Kate Saunders, in this case #3 The Mystery of the Sorrowful Maiden – past author selection for Just Desserts
- The Eye of Isis series by Dana Stabenow, starting with Death of an Eye – past author selection for Just Desserts
- The Alex Carter series by Alice Henderson, starting with A Solitude of Wolverines and A Blizzard of Polar Bears
- The Recovery Agent series by Janet Evanovich, starting with The Recovery Agent – past author selection for Just Desserts
- The Verifiers series by Jane Pek, starting with The Verifiers
Our main discussion took up so much time, we didn’t have time left for our traditional “Round Robin” of whatever else the group members have been reading. But a few readers tossed out four things they really wanted to mention.
Here’s a short list of mystery, thriller and suspense books recommended by Just Desserts members in May 2021:
What mysteries have you been reading lately that you’d recommend?